Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Pixel Scrapper Blog Train for July, plus a bonus!

Starting this month, the Pixel Scrapper Blog Train has changed things up a bit. Since some people wanted to play with the colors more and frequently people wanted to go a bit (or a lot) afield of the chosen theme, rather than a single small palette and theme, Marissa decided to try an expanded palette and four suggested themes. This gave designers more "sanctioned" leeway for their designs, and it was well-received in the forums. We'll see how it plays out in practice. I will say, I do miss the cohesiveness previous kits had, but I'm not opposed to this idea.

Here's the guide for this month:

Given the theme and color options, I decided I wanted to do a nautical-themed kit. I'd seen the inspiration photo in the suggestions thread and it appealed to me as a color challenge I hadn't done yet, and would give me some good design ideas to play with. I put off working on it until midway through June, though (life and mood both got in the way), so I tried not to go overboard on the number of elements (no pun intended). I may revisit in the future to expand on the kit, as with many others I've done.

One great thing about the Nautical kit was that I was able to reuse some discarded paper designs from last month's Kumbaya kit. I mentioned on that post that I went through a few paper designs that just didn't work out, so I set them aside. Since they were water-themed, I went back to them and recolored two of the designs and put them in this kit instead (along with a color variant of one).

Since the palettes have expanded, I've started including the palette I used in my preview, as seen in the bottom-right corner. Not every color will necessarily be strongly represented in the kit, but it at least gives an idea of what I restricted myself to.


Download expired

But wait, there's more! I wanted to do the fantasy theme too, but not necessarily devote a regular-size blog train contribution to it, so I thought I'd put together a bonus mini for that theme with different color choices. Since I was limiting myself to a very small kit for this, I had to narrow the "fantasy" focus down. We did "Renaissance Faire" last year, so I didn't want to overlap with that terribly much (no sense retreading the same ground when I don't have to). I toyed with the idea of doing dragons, unicorns, princesses, etc., until I came across some inspiration (via Google Image Search) for fairies. I decided I'd do that.

I started with silhouettes of ballerinas, to which I added butterfly wings. I wanted a paper cut-out look to them, so I layered them and added glitter to the wings. The rest of the kit was pulled together with the intent for the pieces to mix and match a little into a single designed scrapbook page, so there's a frame, some paint stamps, a single ribbon, and a bunch of flowers and leaves. Overall, I think it looks pretty good for being put together in two days.


Download expired

When you're done picking up your kits, head over to Pixel Scrapper to find the other lovely contributions to this blog train!

21 comments:

  1. This is really cute; thanks for sharing! I know what you mean about the cohesiveness aspect, and I can't really decide which train of thought I'm on: cohesiveness or the ability to see designers' more unique takes on things. :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! And I feel like both arguments have a point, so definitely divided in opinion. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much for both mini kits. I love the fairies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! The fairies were definitely my favorite part of the second kit.

      Delete
  3. Both your kits are delightful. While I enjoy kits with similar colors, I often pick colors from my photos. So I tend to draw elements from many different sources. Mixing it up like this month is fine. Thanks for both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I definitely do that too, trying to match kit elements to the photos I'm using. Like I said, I miss the tighter focus, but having flexibility is good too, so I'm not sure overall what I think.

      You're welcome for the kits!

      Delete
  4. Великолепные наборы! Большое спасибо!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank your for the lovely kits

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are both charming kits! Thank you kindly, Amanda, for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for both kits!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much for these lovely mini kits!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This will definitely be an interesting train to sort through (when I was at my most active on Pixel Scrapper, I tried to get at least a couple of layouts done with the train). Though I'm confident that there's enough neutral items (flowers, ribbon, papers, etc. that I can draw from to suit any theme). That's the beauty of huge trains like this...so many fun goodies to choose from.

    On a side note, your contributions are lovely! I can't wait to sift through and figure out how I can use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your awesome contribution to this blog train ! Love both kits !

    ReplyDelete